The Boston/Metro North STEM Network
The Metro North REB has recently joined forces with The Boston Private Industry Council (PIC) to create a single network. The new Boston/Metro North STEM Network is developing STEM promotion strategies that closely align with the needs of industry, community, and K-12 and higher education in Boston as well as the Metro North region.
The collaboration is supported by a grant awarded by the Baker-Polito Administration, to address future STEM-related workforce needs across the state, and to engage and inspire youth to choose STEM-related careers --an effort which is becoming increasingly important to maintain a strong economy.
The high-level priorities for the Metro North/Boston, and all STEM Networks across the state include:
- Expanding work-based learning opportunities for high school students, particularly in STEM fields;
- Developing and implementing models of STEM Early College Career Pathways; and
- Broadening access to computer science and engineering courses.
Click here to view the recent press release as posted on the website of the MA Executive Office of Education. More information on the partnership will be posted on this page - so stay tuned!
The Boston/Metro North STEM Network welcomes new members! Meetings are held approximately four times per year. If you are interested in learning more about participating, please contact Meelynn Wong, firstname.lastname@example.org, or (617) 871-1115.
Annually since 2011, the Metro North REB has hosted STEM-related forums designed to galvanize business-to-school partnerships, and inspire local youth to pursue STEM-related education and career paths.
The 2015 STEM Event, entitled "From Classroom to Career: Discover In-Demand STEM Jobs and Career Pathways," was hosted by the Metro North REB and the Cambridge Science Festival. This highly engaging and informative event provided participants with information on STEM Careers and related pathways, as well as labor market information specific to the Metro North Region. Click here to read more!
STEM Online Resource
The REB has developed an online resource containing information on some of the most effective and well-established STEM-related programs in the region. Through this effort, the REB supports the creation of business-school partnerships, and provides selected resources and practical information to support those partnerships. Click here to download a one-page overview of the Metro North STEM Resource.
Other STEM efforts include:
- Cultivating a strong representation from STEM industries on the REB's Board and Youth Council;
- Collaborating on the development of training curricula, articulation of career ladders, and design of staff development curricula for STEM education; and
- Working to increase the number of STEM-related summer job and internship opportunities for youth throughout the region.
The Metro North STEM Network is now on Facebook!